In October 2016, mobile & tablet internet usage exceeded desktop for the first time worldwide.
People are spending much more time on their smartphone, searching, shopping and watching videos. And since 2015, when google introduced mobile-friendliness as a ranking factor, the mobile optimisation game has changed massively. Today, it is imperative that brands have an effective mobile web presence and are optimised for mobile phones.
Why you need to put more effort in optimising the mobile version of your website:
- 74% of people in UK use smartphones.
- 65% of adults use smartphone as their primary device to go online.
- Of these people, 73% go online daily.
The need for speedy mobile websites
- In the UK people spend 60% of their online time on mobile devices.
- The total browse time per month is also much higher on smartphones – 66 hours per month in the UK compared to 29 hours per month on desktop.
- 75% of people in UK that pagespeed has the most impact on their mobile experience.
Mobile user experience matters
Technology has made our online experience faster and consumers are ever more impatient.
- Google recently tested 900,00 mobile websites and found that the average time to load a mobile page is 22 seconds!
- 53% will leave a mobile site if it takes more than 3 secs to load
- 50% of users will abandon a mobile transaction becasuse of poor experience.
Mobile PageSpeed Insights
PageSpeed Insights is a great way for developers to check how their site performs out in the wild, but how do you actually improve your score if it’s not what you were expecting? Well in this session we will take a web application and use Grunt to create a build process that will help optimise our site to be faster and giving us a better workflow.